Unfortunately, the holiday season can be a dangerous time for household fires. Fires in workplaces and other locations may also end up causing fire hazards. Make sure that you take note of the following risks to avoid hurting your home or harming your family.
1. Watch out for candles.
Naturally, you will want to light candles during the holiday season. Many religions require candles for lighting ceremonies, and candles just look festive during this time of year. But there are a few things to remember when it comes to lighting candles at any time of the year.
First, never leave candles unattended. Even if you are going to be out of the room for just a few minutes, blow out any candles that you have lit. Second, make sure that you keep pets and children away from candles. Even if pets or children do not intentionally knock over or bump candles, they may accidentally swipe at them and not realize what they’re doing or what damage this may cause.
Finally, make sure that candles are never set up on wooden or other flammable surfaces and that they never sit underneath flammable materials, such as wood, hanging plants, wreaths, trees or bows or ribbons.
2. Be careful when cooking.
Again, individuals and families should be careful and diligent when cooking at any time of the year, but because cooking large meals is so prevalent during the holiday season, it seems that fire accidents around cooking often happen during this time.
Make sure that you do not leave food that is cooking unattended. It’s easy to get distracted when many people are in your home and lots of people are in the kitchen, but it’s important to pay attention to what you’re doing. Setting timers and only letting people who are involved in the cooking of the food into the kitchen are two tips that can help keep your family and home safe.
3. Christmas trees and wreaths can be hazards.
Lastly, if you have a Christmas tree or wraths made out of dry fir trees at home, keep in mind that these articles are extremely dry and extremely flammable. It takes only half of a minute for a dry tree to catch into flames, and this can take down an entire home or apartment.
To cut down your risk of fires in the home because of natural wreaths or trees, make sure that you get a fresh tree to begin with. In addition, always give your tree water every day. This will keep it more moisturized and less dry so that is less of a fire hazard. You should also make sure that your tree stays away from any sources of heat, such as radiators, candles and fireplaces.